7 conversations you should have before extracting THC with compressed flammable gasses at your home

So you've got some pot and some butane? Hold on there, you should probably talk to some people* before you get started.

1. Ask your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance agent if accidents involving cannabis extraction will be covered by your policy. Purchase the necessary coverage if you don't have it. Umbrella coverage might be wise, if you have neighbors--see item 4.

2. Ask your health insurance provider for the preferred burn unit in your area and post a visible sign for emergency responders.

3. Seek permission from other residents of your home and, if living in an attached dwelling**, your neighbors. They deserve to be apprised of the risk you're planning to take in their vicinity. See point 4, you may need a waiver.

4. Ask your attorney to verify that it's legal, under municipal or county land-use and nuisance codes, to produce extracts at your residence. You might need a home-occupation license. If extracting for business purposes, have counsel verify that you are complying with all state and local requirements. If you live within 1000' of a school you may also wish to consult with a federal defense attorney about your possible criminal liability under the drug-free schools act.

5. Ask the local fire department if there are any rules, regulations or local conditions you need to be aware of when extracting cannabis with flammable solvents.

6. Ask your homeowners association, condo association, or other neighborhood unit of government if there are any covenants in force that would preclude residential extraction.

7. Ask your landlord or property management representative if the lease allows cannabis extraction at the premise. Terms of the lease may affect applicability of item 1.

Safe extracting!

*a Colorado-centric perspective, may not be fully applicable in other jurisdictions.

**Fort Collins, for example, disallows all marijuana uses from multi-family and attached residences.

Syndicate content